The roof of your property is one of the most important parts of the building. Since winters are coming and there are chances of ice accumulating on the roof. During that, you must know that your roof is ready for winter.
If there is damage to your roof then it can lead to multiple problems in different areas of your building. This can result in mould or can cause water damage also. To welcome the new season with a happy face, you should clear debris and other damages from the fall to keep your house warm and safe during the upcoming winter season.
Possibly your best line of safeguard against the harsh winter weather is your roof. So it is your responsibility for protecting your building from the chilling winter which can bring multiple damages to your building. So before the winter arrives, it is wise to be sure your roof is prepared for winter.
Here is the information on how you should prepare your roof for the winter.
- Chimneys: If you have a chimney or any other roof projection, you should check the flashing around it. It prevents the melted ice water from getting into your building and causing any further damage, so it may need to be replaced if it’s old or coming away from your roof.
- Valleys: The roof valley is a particularly vulnerable area of the roof, especially in the winter. Various types of roof valleys function differently. Your roofer will ensure that your valleys are installed perfectly and that they reside in good condition. They may need to be cleaned, as pine needles and leaves are often stuck here.
- Clean everything out: Remove the leaves and other debris out of your gutters. One can clean your gutters by pouring water from a hose down them until the leaves are completely gone. Collect and remove any debris circling your downspouts to keep the area clear so ice and snow won’t build up over there. Also, the roof which holds the collected leaves, dirt and debris over time holds moisture which can damage your roof.
- Cut and Remove the hanging Branches: Trees indeed add protection from the extreme sunlight to your building during summer days. But during winter the falling leaves can accumulate and can restrict the downspout from free-flowing the water from the roof. This can cause heavy damage to your roof.
- Investigate the roof edges: During winter, the roof edges can cause structural damages from the ice that forms during cold. Installation of the proper ventilation system can protect the roof edges from damage due to the extreme cold weather.
- Missing Shingles: If you find any missing shingles on the roof then it’s high time when you should replace them so that the whole building doesn’t get damaged due to water or ice damage during the winter season.
- Hire a Professional: After all these inspections, you should contact a professional contracting company that knows the technical and practical knowledge on roof damage and repair. Often many faults can not be seen from the naked eye and it can cause heavy damage to your building.
The whole inspection and steps that should be taken to make sure the roof is fit to face the harsh weather is the month before the upcoming winter season. There are multiple reasons like more stable weather, lesser moisture level and many more.